Saturday, June 07, 2008

Storm packs and Cindi - Rick seek refuge

Okay, i have been os thunder storms before; just last August one took out several trees and our pole barn. We were home at the time.

Nothing surpasses what we experienced on Friday. I was scheduled to be out of town but after 6 hours stuck on and off a plan in Fort Wayne, I decided to call it a day. I called Cindi and asked her for a ride back home. The weather was playing with my flight and eventually my drive home.

As we drove home i watched the radar from me cell phone and made every attempt to make it home. However, just 10 miles from home we were caught up in the impressive and overwhelming power of nature.

As we approched our exit the sky produced scary impressions. Our son, Jeremiah just called to warn us to seek immediate shelter. A tornado was spotted in Marion and headed right for us. We watched its fury.

We could see the dark clouds as they formed overhead. We saw the swirling rain and clouds just before us. We felt the draft in-flow. It was all too real!

As we drove head-long into the weather front, we prayed then dove - er, i mean drove, for cover. The storm was right over us. We took refuge under a bridge. Okay, not the safest place but it was practical. There is where we waited out the storm.

We watched as the wind and rain flooded the roadway. The wind blew the rain under the underpass. WOW! It was very dramatic.

We have a deep respect for what God's incredible fury can do.

I actually have little memory of my distress at the airport. I have a renewed sense of patience.

By the way, this was my 21st wedding anniversary.

rick carder