Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My birthday tribute!

Today is my birthday which is often a self-centered, me-first day that narcissism is actually expected! Well, in keeping with what's expected, today I wish myself a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I also reflect upon how blessed I am!!

June 15, '65 was a day in history that I took my first breath. Thanks to the nurses and the doctor.
I AM BLESSED!

If not for my parents, this day would likely not have come for me. My parents met in the most unlikely way; dad was in the Military Service and mom caught the right bus. Their marriage required mom to move to the cold north from West Palm Beach, Florida and raise eight children. Dad had no idea that raising boys and one girl would mean that he would have to work overtime often just to make ends meet! Their love and lessons!
I AM BLESSED!

Some of the most influential people in my life have been church people. I can't possibly mention all those that have poured themselves into my life. To name those people would take a long time. Their names are written in God's journal. Their reward is coming. Thank you Monroe Wesleyan and Maybee Camp!
I AM BLESSED!

Growing up wasn't always easy! Tough neighborhood. At time, tough at home. Hard to get through school. Hard life; worked too early in life and too many jobs. Few resources. Too many floods. Although it wasn't always easy, I had a bike, friends, brothers that looked out for me, a sister that was fun to grow up with, a little brother to do things with, and parents that did everything they could to give me a warm bed and food. The memories are great! The experiences were life changing! My life is rich because of what I lived through! I AM BLESSED!

For the camping trips...
For the church...
For the too many jobs...
For annual floods...
For fishing poles...
For a BB gun...
...ice skates, icy creek, two candy stores...
For driving at 9 years old...
For Saturday morning cartoons...
For the Donny and Marie Show, Emergency 51 and even Lawrence Welk (now that I am old enough to appreciate it)...
I AM BLESSED!

...2AM Church Camp memories, Generations of Sound, recess, fights I won and those I didn't have to win...
I AM BLESSED!

...a paper route, dating, school assignments on an average grade, life changing days and wonderful memories at Marion College (now at Indiana Wesleyan University), pranks that worked, grand parents, station wagon trip to Florida...
I AM BLESSED!

For being married to a wonderful person...
For having three wonderful children...
For the many homes I have lived in and the one I own...
For evenings to just sit on the swing...
I AM BLESSED!

For Cindi, caring enough and encouraging...
The many miles we have traveled...
Making a house a great home...
Stuffed Green Pepper... ;-)
The wonderful memories...
The incredible challenges and beating the odds...
...Your love, laughs and likes...
I AM VERY BLESSED!

...pastoring four great churches...
...great lessons from Great Pastors...
...three careers, kinda...
...experiences with foster kids, CASA, juvenile probation work, youth ministry, jail ministry, walking in on drug deals, even a death threat and having guns pulled on me...
I AM BLESSED!

Great In-Laws...they are like parents to me!
The many times I complained, they listened...
The gifts they freely gave...
The times we laughed and prayed...
The trips you made to see us and the ones we've made...
For great meals and introducing me to cheese cake...
I AM BLESSED!

What wonderful memories and many more opportunities ahead! For the memories that volumes of books can't contain...
I AM BLESSED!

I am grateful for God's Grace and hope for Salvation.
My life is enriched by the life changing experience of The Holy Spirit.
I AM BLESSED!

The lessons I've learned and the ones I didn't have to learn...
I AM BLESSED!

I have been given many gifts in tangible ways and the intangibles.

I AM BLESSED!

-written by Rick Carder, June 15.