Saturday, November 15, 2008

Image is my grandfather Hoppenbrouwer and his brother

Message from my Aunt.

This is my father in Savanna Ga. w/ his brother, our Uncle Andries. Our
father had been in the States a short few years when he happened to go to
the docks to watch the ships come in. These two young men bumped into each
other accidentally; when they pardoned each other, they looked at each other
& saw they were...BROTHERS!! They had this photo taken & U/Dries took the
photo back to their mother in Holland. Grandmother didn't know where our
father was for many years when he left to sail on a merchant marine ship.
She didn't see him before he left. He stopped by an other brothers house
before he left asking if he had a beer, but he didn't have any. Grandmother
got word & went to the docks to see him off, but she was too late the ship
had already left. It took me many, many, many...years to find the name of
his ship which I recently remember after U/Bill & I searched one night for
hours & he looked at work while he had the time for weeks & weeks because I
got into thinking about it again. Finally Bill said the one ship that
resembles to the location & time wise was named (Bertha), he said..I said
that's it!!! When I heard him speaking of the sea he always brought up the
name of (Bertha) but because I was a child hearing it I thought he was
talking about a woman's name!! Why wouldn't I? Bertha is a girls name,
Right! Days later...we found that she sailed some more where she was docked
in Northern Fl. Then she had her last voyage where she wrecked on some
Island, & this is her remains to this day!! She is guarded 24/7 because
people have taken her a part. Wouldn't your granddaddy love to know my
FINDING HER!!